I finished your birthday blog form last year with “And I hope that this year brings you more than you could ever wish for!”. As you can imagine it didn’t really worked out. There was no singing with Lewis Capaldi, no competing at the Swiss Swimming Championships, no family visits to Switzerland, no visitors to show around in Cambridge, no beach vacation in summer, no Sicily in autumn, no french school trip, no Christmas shopping in London. That’s only some of the things you were hoping to do and you were look forward to. Instead you have had a lot of (involuntary) family time, countryside walks, bike rides to Starbucks, thinking about colorful face covering, calculating the right amount of hand sanitizer, more or less successful tries to turn boredom into amusement, obeying and not overthinking relatively meaningful rules, pond swimming in wetsuitno matter the weather, coping with cabin fever, dealing with weak wifi connections, and so on. All things a teenager in its fifteenth year of life likes to experience. It was a hard year and it has demanded a lot from us all. Not being able to do the things you love the most but still standing up every day with a smile on your face, still pushing yourself and working out hard even the pool are closed and there are no competitions in the near future, and you’re still there for others,listening and cheering even though you need encouragement yourself. I’m proud of your resilience and persistence and it gives me hope for the future. There’s not all lost with Gen Z, however do men really have to do make-up tutorials?
This year I keep myself back with good wishes, even so the first wish became true already and you’re able to go back to school in five days. Times are changing, or since when do normal fifteen year old wish for nothing more than to be able to go back to school? I’ll use this special time with altered behavior pattern to give you some antiquated but caring advices I underwent over the years. And because you still have a couple of weeks filled with sweet idleness in front of you, there’s a chance you will have some time left to let it think and maybe some will stick and accompany you on your way. I probably wouldn’t have listened back then but if I would have, it would have saved me some troubles…
- There’s only one way to eat an elephant: one bite a the time.
- Letting go doesn’t mean necessarily to giving up. Sometimes you need to let things go to have more room for better things to come or more time for the good things you already have.
- If you find something that you really love doing, learn it and master it. Don’t worry if you don’t stick with it though, because it will come back to you.
- A broken heart will hurt more than. a broken arm and will heal slower. Don’t love less because of this.You decide wheater it weakens or strengthens you.And there are plenty more fish in the sea!
- Life is not always easy but believe me you are stronger than you think. And you are also more beautiful, slimmer and you have longer legs than you think.
- Don’t worry if you don’t know what you want to be when you grow up. Just decide who you want to be today. The Rest will follow.
- Eat more greens.
- What has been squeezed out of a toothpaste is and will remain out. No chance to put it in again. Thus, think first before you act.
- Laugh hard. Cry from the bottom of your heart. Don’t be afraid to show feelings.
- Apologize and forgive. Everyone is doing mistakes. Admit them, learn from them and be tolerant to others. Nobody is flawless.
- Do unto others as you would have do unto you
- You’re a masterpiece but the centerpiece of the exhibition called world is made up of uncountable masterpieces.
- You can’t fix everything.
- Be brave and go your own way. Take advices from others, let you guide if necessary but finally make your own decision. You’re the architect of your own good fortune.
- I am always here for you. Even when you think I’m not.
A very happy birthday to my beautiful, unique and amiable firstborn. We love you more than you ever can imagine, even if it doesn’t always look like that in the first place.